Mercury as a Health Hazard
Dispute: Although there is no longer any dispute that there is daily chronic leakage of mercury vapour from the surface of amalgam (silver fillings), the most widely held, conventional view is that this leakage does not present a health hazard
Symptoms : Although it may produce no immediate symptoms, the presence of mercury may still be having an effect either directly on specific organs or indirectly through an adverse repercussion on the health and stability of the immune / glandular system and, therefore, it may take some years before any health symptoms appear — at which time, the ‘effect’ is somewhat separated from the ’cause’ with a subsequent loss of co-relation between these two ‘time zones
Dosage: Any reaction to the presence of mercury seems to be related to the ability / non-ability of the host’s body to cope with the potential side effects of its presence rather than to the ‘dosage’ level of mercury emanating from amalgam fillings
Replacement Hazard: Without proper protection,removal of an old amalgam restoration releases a large, acute (as opposed to the chronic leakage of daily chewing) dose of mercury into the system. which can be sufficient to induce a symptomatic ’reactive overload’ – this is rarely attributed to the dental treatment and is, conventionally, viewed as a ‘coincidence’.
Tolerance: Changes from an apparent tolerance to mercury to an intolerance can happen very rapidly [as in removal] or very gradually over the years as other stress factors weaken the immune system tolerance levels – I think we’ve all heard stories of the hangover ‘recovery’ time of youth becoming rather longer in later life!
Toxic Time Bomb: For many of us, this continual mercurial releaseis a bit like having a slow acting ‘Toxic Time Bomb’ within our bodies just waiting for an opportunity to ‘explode’!
In conclusion, if your have unexplained symptoms which are affecting your health, you may find it worthwhile to consider being checked for mercury sensitivity.
- Mercury is a known poison, with a particularly toxic effect on the Brain / Nerve Tissue, Kidney / Reproductive and Endocrine (Glandular) Systems
- Mercury constitutes around 50% of all amalgam (silver) fillings
- Daily release is increased by chewing, grinding and with hot, cold and acidic foods
- The World Health Organisation released a document naming amalgams as the highest daily source of mercury in human beings
- The handling of mercury both in industry and the dental profession is highly regulated to protect both workers, dentists and their staff from suffering from any ill-effects from mercury poisoning
- Mercury is a well-known bactericide which will kill off natural as well as harmful bacteria and has been related as a causative factor in Candida and other problems with digestive bacteria including antibiotic resistance
- In amalgams, mercury is mixed with silver, copper and zinc and, especially in the presence of dissimilar metals, frequently creates a battery effect leading to a metallic taste and increased mercury release
- Even without the presence of other metals, all amalgams act as a battery producing an electrical charge, the level of which can be measured and can affect the natural electrical activity of the brain – in teeth without amalgams / metallic restorations, no electrical activity is present.
- In a recent study, amalgams were placed in the biting surfaces of a pregnant sheep and 60 days later, the presence of mercury in the liver, kidneys and jaw bone was noted to such a degree that a photo scanning x-ray showed the outline of these organs Foetal uptake was greater than in the mother This experiment was repeated in monkeys with the same result
NO STUDIES EXIST WHICH PROVE THAT MERCURY IS A SAFE FILLING MATERIAL
SELF ASSESSMENT MERCURY SENSITIVITY QUESTIONNAIRE
Silver Although commonly described as ‘silver’, these restorations (fillings) are an amalgamation (mixture) of silver, copper, zinc and tin ‘glued’ together with Mercury which accounts for up to 75% of the whole restoration. Mercury is known as a cytotoxin [i.e. it is toxic to all living cells) and, after Plutonium, is the most toxic substance known to man.
Vapourisation It is extremely volatile and evaporates as mercury vapour immediately a 'mercury' restoration is placed - a situation that continues throughout its lifetime
This vapour 'rises' upwards into the brain (where it gets trapped in the brain cells) and 'down wards' into the lungs (where it gets transported through the blood and deposited in various tissues I organs) and intestines - where it interferes with the natural functioning of the gut bacteria and is also transported to other tissues /organs through the blood.
Cellular Combinations As mercury very readily combines with a particular type of molecule called 'sulfhydryl', which is found in most proteins (the building blocks for all body tissues), this provides an easy mechanism through which it becomes ingested and 'trapped' in living tissue cells. As a result, it can potentially interfere with the normal healthy functioning of virtually any process of, or organ within, the body.
In conclusion, although this mercury 'lodger' is toxic to the cells [cycotoxic] of the body tissue / organs, the degree of adaptation to this cytotxicity has an individual variance. For some, associated symptoms do not appear (or may take many years to do so) while, at the other end of the scale, these may appear very rapidly and with great intensity
The Downloadable Questionnaire
This questionnaire is intended to provide any given individual with some idea of the level to which they are ‘tolerating’ this noxious substance. The following scoring rates will indicate that level.
1-20 You may have some degree of toxicity but it is not enough for major concern.
20-40 You are somewhat toxic and should reduce your exposure to mercury and other heavy metals such as lead and cadmium.
40 + You are highly toxic and should see a Clinical Ecologist or your doctor / dental surgeon immediately.